Sunday, May 25, 2014

About CottarKnives

After years of following custom knife builders, I finally started building my own knives. I tried to demo and carry as many of them as possible and soon found an immense satisfaction came from letting friends and coworkers enjoy and test my products. At times it has been rewarding to repurpose files, rasps and saw blades. Lately I have enjoyed grinding of flat stock.

I try to draw from my own background and interest for inspiration. I try to include function and purpose while leaning towards a thick overstock of material. My current career as a firefighter and my previous stint in the US Navy probably contribute to my designs. I like 10% of my work to appeal to the eye but 90% to the hand.

The biggest suggestion that I receive about my knives is to use a longer handle. I have large paws and it is very difficult for me to want to extend the handle beyond my palm. It seems like any material remaining is just along for a free ride. Conversely, every inch of blade will be called upon to serve and contribute towards the purpose of the knife.

Most of the knives I have made have been either intended for use hunting of for carry at work. I utilize mesquite or micarta for the hunting knives and generally micarta for the work knives.

CottarKnives is located outside of Conroe Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment