Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Micarta from fire Hose

  I made some Micarta from surplus fire hose.  The yellow fabric is the outer jacket and the white layer is the inner jacket.  The inner white layer was vulcanized to a rubber sleeve. I was able to throw the white section in to the oven at 300f and the rubber sleeve was able to be peeled off.  I used standard fibergalss resin and hardner to make 3 layered micarta.  It seemed to work well and is and the finished material has an excelent "Grip".  I have this material on a few knives now, trying to use/abuse it to raise my confidence in it.  My biggest concern is that because it a semi-impermeable fabric, it may not have absorbed much resin, possibly causing it to de laminate.   Time will tell! 

7.25" OAL.  Yellow from a rasp, White from 3/16" 1095 hight carbon.  Yellow-Not Available  White - Available$150+Ship



1 comment:

  1. This was posted in 2014, have any of the handle pieces delaminated?

    ReplyDelete